Saturday 20 November 2010

Poem

I found a poem that sums up the condition and situation of the house that I am documenting for my photoessay.  I am going to use this poem as the foundation for my photos.  I plan on using a recording of a reciting of the poem as the audio for my film. 


A sad, abandoned country house,
withers upon it's tiny hill.
What once protected, now is open,
and winds blow through it's broken window sills.

Deeded now to bird and mouse,
to spiders and to who-knows-what.
Sagging porch and empty rooms,
a kitchen wall with grease still spattered,
from someone's long-past breakfast.
laughter, cries, and prayer
used to fill this air.

And, beside this kitchen door,
children played and pattered
No more.

Ancient glass fragments, and 
something like putty on the floor,
a kettle, pieces of a shattered crock,
and "did someone throw it?" a rock.

Outside, a rusted plough, and this rubble
that might once have been a wagon,
nearer the house, lesser artefacts: 
a medicine bottle, a shoe,
like the kin of those who strove here,
scattered.

Sunset and sadness come 
as I stand among the runes,
trying to honor 
something that mattered.

No comments:

Post a Comment